As a cosmetologist, it’s common to have clients who want to switch up their style. Having a bob is a trendy style but not everyone wants to make such a commitment. Styling weaves in this desired way is a great alternative to chopping off your hair.
Bobs are available in a variety of different lengths. Bobs can be short and end near the chin or go down to your shoulders.
This article will discuss 5 of the best sew-in options to achieve a bob. Let’s see why they made the list.
Best Sew-in for a Bob
A bob is a statement style that happens to be easily achievable, all thanks to hair weaves. Instead of making this dramatic change, installing a bob sew-in is a great option to switch up your style without living with long term effects. Anything under 14 inches can qualify as a bob.
- Best sew-in for a bob overall – Alipearl offers an affordable option that doesn’t lack in the overall quality. With a high hair grade, durable construction, and ideal texture you can’t go wrong with Alipearl.
- Best sew-in for a bob for value – Amella is a brand run through Amazon that offers an extremely affordable weave option. You can purchase individual bundles or a set and check out for around $40.
- Best sew-in for a bob for high quality – Mayvenn offers bundles that are constructed incredibly well. They provide high quality units that you can definitely get your use out of.
- Best sew-in for a bob based on reputation – Nadula has been around for years and continues to provide quality hair. They’re affordable and well constructed despite the fact they don’t have many customization options.
- Best sew-in for a bob for high value – Dsoar can be an expensive option but you can easily complete a look with one of their sets. The standard for these bundles sets includes 4 wefts, ideal for a thick and full bob.
1. Alipearl Brazilian Straight Hair
Alipearl is a well-known business that has been around for over 20 years. They got their start on other sites but eventually made the move to making an official company site, that was 4 years ago. This ensured customers got a premium shopping experience.
The company continually offer new arrivals for their customers. They focus on current trends to ensure everyone is up to date on their hair journey. Another positive of this company is the different amount of discounts given.
Alipearl is extremely affordable yet offers high quality hair. This bundle is grade 8A which is one of the highest grades available and the hair is constructed well. The hair is double wefted and overall durable.
Another pro to the hair is its straight texture which is ideal for a bob. The hair lays flat and has a dramatic effect. One area of improvement could be the density of the unit. The ends could be thicker and match the remainder of the hair.
What I Like
- Price – For just over $50 you can get 3, 8 inches bundles perfect for a bob.
- Hair grade – The hair has a 8A grade which is quite high.
- Construction – The hair is machine double wefted meaning it’s durable.
- Texture – The straight texture is ideal for a bob.
What I Don’t Like
- Density – The hair could be a little thicker at the ends.
2. Amella Brazilian Body Wave Hair
Amella is a hair brand that is operated through Amazon. This brand is able to offer affordable pricing since they have Amazon taking care of the bulk of their business needs. While Amazon is on top of orders, they don’t have the option to customize units.
In addition to weaves the company also offers wigs to their customers. This wide range is a major plus and continually brings shoppers back. They even offer high hair grades which highlights the overall quality.
The best part about this unit is the price. For around $40 you can achieve a complete bob look. This is ideal for anyone of a budget who still wants to feel great. For this cheap price, you still get a pretty high hair grade of 8A.
Some downsides to the hair would have to be the fact that the hair sheds a bit too much. This is not ideal as it cuts down on the overall longevity of the hair. It also decreases the overall density. While these downsides are present, the overall construction is great.
What I Like
- Price – Purchase individually to achieve a bob look and the prices are reasonable.
- Hair grade – The hair has a 8A grade which is fairly high.
- Construction – The hair is double wefted and overall durable.
What I Don’t Like
- Shedding – The hair sheds a bit too much.
- Density – The hair could be a little thicker throughout.
- Texture –The body wave texture may not be ideal for a bob.
3. Mayvenn Brazilian Straight Hair
Mayvenn is a black owned business that has been around for a good amount of time. Over the years they have been able to provide high quality products to their customers. 100% virgin human hair is their specialty.
Their extensions are hand picked and they offer 4 different hair types. Another positive of the brand is they work with different stylists around the country to ensure their hair is installed in the proper way. Depending on what you purchase, this service may be free.
This hair takes the high quality spot mainly due to the way the wefts are constructed. They are double wefted and have a great base. They feel extremely durable and you are likely to get a good amount of wear out of them.
While the overall quality is high, the bundles do have a few downsides, one being the price. The hair is over $55 for just one bundle and a set is close to $200. This is quite expensive for a bob unit as you can find something for a quarter of the price.
What I Like
- Construction – The hair is double wefted and very durable.
- Texture – This silky straight texture is ideal for a bob.
What I Don’t Like
- Price – You could purchase an entire set for the price of one.
- Filler hairs – The unit contains filler hairs which mess up the density.
- Length – They only have 3 options for bob styles, 10 inches to 14inches.
4. Nadula Malaysian Body Wave Hair
Nadula is well known for their weaves but offers a variety of different products such as wigs and closures. They ship to over 50 countries and aim to meet the different needs for people around the world.
The company is based in China and had their first factory established in 2001. Over the years they have been able to continually grow and now have their own site with over a million customers.
These bundles are made from Malaysian hair which is thicker in texture and ideal for a bob since it gives a full effect. While Malaysian hair is a great option, a body wave texture may not be as ideal. Body waves don’t give a blunt look that usually accompany bobs.
Another positive is this company offers 4 different length options for a bob. They range from 8 inches to 14, anything longer omits the bob look. Aside from customizing the length you don’t have many options but the overall construction makes it worth it.
What I Like
- Hair type – The bundles are made with Malaysian hair which is perfect for a bob.
- Construction – The hair is double machine wefted.
- Length –They have 4 bob length options from 8 inches to 14 inches.
What I Don’t Like
- Texture –Body waves are not always ideal for a bob.
- Lack of customizations – You aren’t able to alter the amount of bundles.
5. Dsoar Indian Straight Hair
Dsoar has been in business since 2009 and has always provided top quality hair to their customers. Although based in China, they are able to service customers all over the world. While personally shopping with the company, I found their shipping to be ideal.
The company is most known for their weaves but offer other types of extensions along with wigs. With a wide range of products, you can pick the perfect unit for you. They have a variety of colors, hair types, and textures.
Dsoar offers an easy to use option for shoppers. Their standard unit set comes with 4 bundles which is perfect for achieving a full look. This will help with the overall density and thickness of the bob.
Another positive is the fact that Indian hair is used. This high quality hair type is a great option and is highly desired. The one downside would have to be the price. The shortest length available is 8 inches and even that is quite expensive.
What I Like
- Hair type – Indian hair is thicker overall making it a great choice for a bob.
- Amount of bundles – The standard set comes with 4 bundles.
- Density – The ends are just as thick as the rest of the hair.
What I Don’t Like
- Price –Even the shortest length available, 8 inches, is quite expensive.
Factors to look out for when buying sew-in for a bob
Weaves can vary in price but the weave you are using for a bob is typically on the cheaper side. The reason behind this price difference is the hair is shorter in length. Due to not as much material being used, the product can be offered at a lower price point.
You can easily find shorter weave for under $100. Typically it’s cheaper to purchase weave in a set as opposed to buying them individually. A single bundle can easily run around $50 while investing in an entire head of weave can be just double the price.
Ensure you take advantage of discount codes. Many companies offer deals to their customers if they spend over a certain amount. They may even offer free shipping on your order.
Having a durable unit is ideal when shopping for a weave, especially that of a bob. Something to be on the lookout for is whether or not the weave is double wefted. Having a double wefted base ensures the hair is secured and won’t easily fall apart.
Other areas such as whether or not the hair has filler hairs is important. Filler hairs can cause the sewing to be uneven as they account for the shorter hairs. Since the overall length of the hair is shorter it’s important these areas are top quality.
It’s also important to decipher whether the hair has any loose strings. Loose strings can easily be pulled and decrease the overall longevity of the hair. The hair can start to unravel which is not a secure construction.
Even density is extremely important when dealing with bobs. Having ends that aren’t as thick as the rest of the unit is not a good look.
Since the ends of the hair are the main area of interest on a bob, it’s important they look the best. Look for a unit that contains hair that is thick throughout and doesn’t have any sparse ends.
Try to avoid bundles that include filler hairs. They make the base look nice and dense but almost always lead to thin ends. This is due to the fact that there is a huge difference in the amount of hairs at the top versus the bottom.
What is a sew-in bob?
A sew-in bob is a type of hairstyle that is accomplished using a weave. It can be a variety of different lengths ranging from the neck area all the way to the shoulders. Sew-in bobs are a great alternative to achieving this look as you won’t have to chop your natural hair.
How long does a bob sew-in last?
A sew-in lasts around 6 to 8 weeks. You will likely have to get the hair reinstalled solely because of new growth. The weave will start to get loose and not feel as secure. One positive about installing a bob is the hair is shorter and less likely to get matted or tangled. This means you can get a longer wear and install the hair multiple times.
What is the best hair to use for a sew-in bob?
The best type of hair is almost always virgin human hair. Another great option to look for is remy hair. Combining all of these types is ideal as it will leave you with the healthiest possible hair. When hair is shorter, it’s even more important for the hair to look healthy as the ends are clearly shown and the style is the main focus.
How much is a sew-in bob typically?
Hair for a sew-in can be relatively cheap, under $100, depending on the specific length. The most expensive part of a sew-in is generally the installation. If you know how to install units yourself you can easily accomplish this style on a low budget. If you are planning to have a professional install the hair you can plan on spending another $100 or so for the labor.
The bottom line is you don’t have to spend a lot of money or even cut off all of your hair to achieve your desired look.
Bobs are a great budget option that are fun to experiment with. With enough research you will be able to find the ideal fit for you.
Take into consideration the overall price, density, and construction. You’ll easily be rocking this new style in no time.