Hi! I’m a licenced cosmetologist who has spent years testing out new products. Shampoo is a vital product that ensures the hair is clean yet doesn’t strip the hair of too many oils.
Finding the perfect shampoo is essential in keeping your weave long lasting. You don’t have to spend a lot to invest in a good shampoo, there are plenty of affordable options.
This article is a compiled list of the 5 best shampoos for weave. They range from affordable drugstore brands to higher priced salon brands. All are a great option for weave wearers.
Best shampoo for weaves
Shampoo is basic when it comes to hair care. Pairing it with a conditioner is a standard in achieving the best hair styles. Shopping for shampoo to use for weave is slightly different as you want to be aware of the products used.
- Best shampoo for weave overall – It’s a 10 takes the spot overall due to the fact that the product hits all the factors you want to be on the lookout for. The shampoo has great ingredients, is reasonably priced, and offers other products in the line.
- Best shampoo for weave for value – OGX offers an extremely affordable product that is available at most places.
- Best shampoo for weave for high quality – Pureology is a high quality company that has a great set of values. They take time on their products to produce the best hair care possible.
- Best shampoo for weave based on reputation – Nexxus has been around for years and is available at both drugstores and high end retailers. They offer a great option for most.
- Best shampoo for weave for an easy use – Shea Moisture is a brand that is known for their hair care line. They offer multiple products that can be used together to produce the best results.
1. It’s a 10 Miracle Moisture Shampoo
It’s a 10 haircare has been around for over 20 years. They are a go to company for providing quality products to their customers. The company works with creators, salons, and stylists to develop the best products.
The hair is formulated to be cruelty-free which is an added perk. The brand has an online shopping space that is easy to use along with the option to be sold at other high end retailers. Ulta and Sephora are some of the stores It’s a 10 is sold at.
This specific product is highly sought after due to its natural ingredients and overall performance. It has a lightweight texture that makes it perfect for regular use. The line also includes a conditioner that can be used together.
The biggest downside to this product is the fact that it’s not sold everywhere. You would have to go to a specialized store that offers higher quality products. That being said, this shampoo is reasonably priced once you find it.
What I Like
- Ingredients – Has 10 amazing benefits but most known for its desirable ingredients.
- Price – For a salon quality shampoo, this product is reasonably priced.
- Multi-step system – This line comes with a matching conditioner.
What I Don’t Like
- Where to purchase – This product isn’t freely offered such as drugstores.
- Size – The bottles are smaller in size, you may have to purchase more frequently.
2. OGX Brazilian Keratin Therapy Shampoo
This company is known for being clean, simple, and affordable. They are able to offer sustainable products and have the ability to be truly unique..
The company highlights natural beauty and real results. Instead of marketing with celebrities that provide unrealistic expectations, they purchase on achievable results. Hair that is smoother, thicker, and bouncier.
The main draw to this product is the price. This shampoo is easily found at most stores for under $10. This is an incredible price for a quality product.
The shampoo is also available to purchase in a full line if need be. They offer a conditioner and additional styling products. The one downside to the unique style of the company is the size and shape of the bottles.
What I Like
- Price – This shampoo is extremely affordable coming in under $10.
- Multi-step system – This brand has a complete line available.
- Where to purchase – This shampoo is easily accessible and available in most stores.
What I Don’t Like
- Size – The containers are quite small.
3. Pureology Hydrate Shampoo
This brand was founded in 2001 with the goal to create the best professional products for color treated hair. They offer vegan products and are concentrated resulting in you using less product.
Integrity, sustainability, and purity are three of their values they continue to stand by. Through thorough research they have been able to develop a highly desired product that doesn’t disappoint.
This product is extremely high quality due to the ingredients they include. Their advanced technology offers concentrated and cruelty-free formulas. They even offer a complete line with more than just the shampoo to complete the full system.
Some downsides to this product is the price. For the small bottle that you get, this shampoo is highly priced. Keep in mind the hair is concentrated so you will likely use less every wash. Also be aware you may not be able to purchase this product everywhere.
What I Like
- Ingredients – The shampoo is sulfate-free and moisturising.
- Vegan – The shampoo is cruelty-free.
- Multi-step system – The line contains conditioners, treatments, and styling options.
What I Don’t Like
- Price –The price is a little on the pricey side.
- Size – The bottles are quite small for the amount you pay.
- Where to purchase – The shampoo is not freely available at most stores.
4. Nexxus Keraphix Keratin Shampoo
Nexxus is most known for the technology they use to create their products. They use proteomics to find the perfect blend of proteins. Ensuring the formulation is right will ensure the best outcome.
The company advises using all of the products in a line together to get the best results. They also provide a list of all their ingredients to ensure complete transparency.
This specific shampoo is a great option since it’s available almost anywhere. The price point is great for the high quality ingredients offered.
The downside to this product would have to be the consistency. The shampoo is thicker than desired and contains protein. While protein is desirable at times, it can build up on the hair stands.
What I Like
- Ingredients – The technology the companies use provide the best quality ingredients.
- Where to buy – The product is available at both drugstores and high end suppliers.
- Price – The shampoo averages between $10 to $20.
What I Don’t Like
- Multi-step system – Only a condition comes in this line, not any styling options.
- Not lightweight – The shampoo is on the thicker side of the scale.
- Protein – This is a thicker ingredient that can easily be built up.
5. Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Shine Shampoo
The company has been around for years and is focused on giving back to the community. They offer a variety of different programs they donate to through the business. Everytime a product is purchased, a potion goes back to charity.
The fact that the company has such a connection with the community proves its character. Along with giving back to the community they also provide healthy natural ingredients in their products.
The one downside to this product is the fragrance. While the smell is great, it is very strong especially for everyday use. Overall the shampoo is worth it as it’s affordable and works well.
Another plus to this product is the fact that it’s a part of a multi-step system. They have shampoo, conditioner, and a variety of styling products. Using all of these together will result in the best results.
What I Like
- Price – The shampoo is around the $10 range.
- Multi-step system – The line includes a variety of different products.
- Ingredients – This shampoo offers natural and hydrating ingredients.
What I Don’t Like
- Fragrance – The smell is good but quite strong.
What factors to look out for when buying shampoo
Shampoo is a vital part of hair care. It ensures the hair has a clean base to be further styled and hydrated. Keeping in mind this product is an essential, you may expect a ridiculous price tag.
While shampoos can be expensive this is not always the case. Salon brands are a great option and usually have the highest quality and best results. You can expect to pay anywhere from $20 to $30 for a salon quality shampoo.
If you are on a budget there are a few drugstore options that work just as well. The ingredients used are the biggest difference that may affect the quality. Brands sold at a cheaper price can range around $10, about half the price of a salon brand.
Since extensions don’t grow from your scalp, they miss out on the natural oils the hair creates. It’s important to look for moisturising ingredients when shopping for shampoo. This will keep the hair healthy for a longer period of time.
One ingredient you want to stay away from is silicone. Silicone creates a layer on the hair that makes it difficult for other products, especially oils, to soak into the hair. Another ingredient you want to be aware of is protein.
Protein is great in moderation for your natural hair but can easily build up on extensions. It’s a better option to purchase a shampoo that has oils infused instead.
Hair care generally comes in a complete line. Companies design products to work together. That is why it’s advised you use the complete system to get the best overall effect.
Shampoo and conditioner are the basics in most lines. Companies usually provide a variety of different styling products to follow up with. Even if you decide to get a different styling product, try to use a shampoo and conditioner of the same line.
Multi-step systems can often be offered at a cheaper price point if purchased together. This is a huge advantage if you go through a lot of products and want to save some coins.
Should you shampoo weave?
Yes, you should shampoo weave as it does get dirty. Dirt and debris can get built up on the extensions just like your real hair. Keeping the hair clean will lead to a more put together look and doesn’t take much time at all. Depending on how often you weave the hair, you can get away with washing the hair less often, around once every week.
Is dry shampoo good for a weave?
Yes, dry shampoo is essential. It’s less messy when compared to traditional shampoo and is a great option for in between washes or installs. Dry shampoo helps remove oil for the hair strands and is known as a quick fix. Products build up and other dirt won’t be removed with dry shampoo, only oil.
What type of shampoo should you avoid for a weave?
While shampooing the hair is highly recommended, there are a few types of products you want to avoid. Shampoo that is clarifying is generally something to stay away from as it strips the hair from all of it’s oils. Hair that is too dry often looks unhealthy and easily tangles which can decrease the longevity of the hair.
Can you use purple shampoo on weave?
Yes, you can use purple shampoo on weave. Keep in mind this type of shampoo will only work if the hair is light enough. It’s important to not use the purple shampoo regularly as the color may start to deposit into the strands. Continue to use regular shampoo in between uses to achieve your desired look.
Shampoo is a necessity when it comes to hair care. Keeping this in mind, you don’t always have to spend a ridiculous amount to get a great product.
Some factors that will make the choice a little easier is being aware of the ingredients used and whether a full system is offered.
Finding the right products for a weave is achievable, it just requires a little bit of work.