I’m Dasia, a natural curly girl and licensed cosmetologist. Since the black community produces some of the top buyers in the hair industry, it’s important to understand how to pick the best wig.
There are so many companies to choose from when deciding to purchase a wig. Specifically those with darker skin should keep in mind certain aspects that will enhance the wig buying experience. When you find the perfect wig, you won’t want to go back
If you’d like to learn more about the wigs mentioned in this article, in depth reviews are also available.
Best Wigs for Black Women
While black women are some of the main people to support hair companies, they are not always catered to. It’s important to find a wig that will compliment your lifestyle. Keep in mind the company you’re purchasing from, the texture, and relevant customizations.
- Best wigs for black women overall – Keswigs takes the spot overall. The texture, curl pattern, and density plays a big part in making this the ideal wig.
- Best wigs for black women for versatility – OMG Queen would have to take the spot for most versatile. The texture is ideal for a woman of color and the 360 lace allows for maximum styling. The price is reasonable and customizations are available.
- Best wigs for black women for value – Asteria hair takes the value spot due to what’s available at the price point. The wig isn’t particularly cheap, but a variety of customizations are available.
- Best wigs for black women for high quality – Diamond Hair Company is a great option for a high-quality wig. You can instantly tell why the hair is so expensive at first touch.
- Best wigs for black women based on reputation – My First Wig has been around for some time now and is known worldwide. They target beginner wig users by offering high-quality hair and a variety of other resources.
- Best wigs for black women for easy use – Luvme hair is a great option for an easy unit. Most want easy installation and you can’t get easier than attaching a headband to your head.
1. Keswigs Undetectable 13×6 Human Hair HD Lace Frontal Wig
Keswigs is a well-known company that got its start in Italy. The brand has worked to provide quality units to women all over the world. They use 100% real human hair that has been handstitched allowing for unrivaled hair.
The site makes shopping easy and quick. They even provide a blog section that allows you to view videos and get tips on how to better style your hair. This gives you a real look as to how the hair will look once you receive it.
The texture of this unit is what makes this wig ideal for black women. The Indian hair texture is a bit thicker and full making it appears natural. It also pairs well with the curl pattern. Another benefit is the space you get with the frontal.
One area of concern is the frizz the unit produces. This is likely due to the curl pattern, some extra time will be needed to style the unit. The hair is also quite expensive so be prepared for that if you do end up purchasing a unit.
What I Like
- Texture – The Indian hair texture pairs perfectly with the curl pattern.
- Frontal – The frontal goes back 6 inches which provides a very wide space.
- Density –The frontal could be thicker, but the ends are quite dense.
What I Don’t Like
- Frizz –Due to the curl pattern, a lot more effort needs to be put into styling the hair./li>
- Shipping – When personally shopping with them, it took longer than 7 days.
- Price – The starting price is over $300 and the unit can go up over $600.
2. OMG Queen’s Kink Straight 360 Frontal Wig
OMG Queen’s founder was inspired to start the company when on a trip in America. The prices and quality didn’t seem to match and that’s when the idea of OMG Queen started. The company strives to provide the finest quality products available.
The store site was very captivating and helpful from a customer’s perspective. The company offered tutorials for buyers to follow along with and know how to better work with their products. OMG Queen also had a wide range of products available to customers, not just wigs.
This specific unit was great for multiple reasons. They offer a lot of perks making this wig a great choice for anyone in the market for a unit geared towards black women. Starting out with the 360 lace that was available in a flattering tan color.
Another perk was the texture of the hair. This texture looks very similar to naturally curly hair that would be blown out. If you are looking for something natural, this is the perfect choice for anyone who wants an undetectable wig.
What I Like
- Frontal – The 360 frontal allows for maximum styling options and lace color was good.
- Texture – The texture resembles natural curly hair that has been blown out.
- Price –The wig is extremely affordable given the frontal size.
What I Don’t Like
- Customizations –A bit expensive in comparison to other units.
- Shipping – If you want this unit for a last minute occasion you may want to rethink.
- Customer service – The responses are slow, know what you want going in.
Read full OMG Queen Wig Review
3. Asteria Hair’s Straight Lace Front Wig
Asteria is a company that has been around for years and is based in China. While they have had a factor for over 16 years, they just started their site in 2016. The company is dedicated to providing a pleasant shopping experience to their customers.
One area the website could have improved on is their descriptions. The product descriptions could have been more informative to help ensure the customer makes an informed decision. Aside from this small con, the company offers a variety of competitive products with plenty of options to customize.
The specific unit made the list of best wigs due to the customizations available. Over 4 different areas on the unit could be altered. This is ideal as it allows the buyer to handpick a unit that is ideal for their circumstances.
The strands of hair on this unit are another area that make this a great choice. The hair is extremely soft and allows for you to easily glide through the unit without any tangling. This makes the wig easy to style and requires little effort to look presentable.
What I Like
- Hair strands –The hair is easy to work with and hassle free.
- Customizations – A variety of options are available to make the ideal unit.
- Price –The price is reasonable for what you get in return.
What I Don’t Like
- Shedding –While the hair is easy to style, it sheds a bit.
- Lace color – The lace could have been darker to accommodate different skin tones.
Read full Asteria Hair Reviews
4. Diamond Hair Company’s Straight Lace Wig
Diamond Hair is a company that is based out of the United States. The founders started the company in 2011 and quickly saw their hard work pay off. They service customers all over the world and continue to thrive over 10 years later.
One of the biggest disadvantages of the site was the slow response time. You would have to reload the page to access the desired product. Aside from this area, the company provides a variety of different products, especially ones geared towards full weaves.
This wig is high quality because of the products that were made to construct it. The lace unit was made with 100% virgin Brazilian human hair. The strands are extremely soft and have a consistent density throughout.
Another perk of this unit is the lace itself. The lace is in transparent tan making it a great option for those with darker skin. Another benefit is since the knots are small in size, they perfectly blend into the lace.
What I Like
- Lace color –The lace came in a tan color making it perfect for darker skin tones.
- Density – The hair was thick throughout the entire unit.
- Knots – The strands were single knotted and lightly bleached.
What I Don’t Like
- Customizations –No customizations were available for this unit.
- Price – The shortest length was $300 and the longest was over $500.
- Customer service – If you want a quick response, this company may not deliver.
Read full Diamond Virgin Hair Reviews
5. My First Wig’s Blunt Bob Lace Wig
This company was founded in 2015 and has been taking over the industry ever since. One of the main reasons this company thrives is due to its target on beginner wig users. They provide their customers with all the basics when getting started with wig wearing.
The site offers an easy user experience and even provides tutorials on how to take care of units. Although they target beginner users they offer high quality products that are desired even by experienced users.
This specific unit is most desired due to the lace. You had the ability to alter the material and color in order to achieve a more natural looking unit. The wig was purchased in a light brown color but an even darker shade was available.
The wig was constructed with Malaysian hair which is known to be sleek with a medium degree of luster. This high quality material is easy to style and blends extremely hair with African American hair.
What I Like
- Hair type – The unit was made with high quality Malaysian hair.
- Lace – The lace allowed the knots to perfectly blend with the unit.
- Kit – The unit came with a full kit providing everything needed for a wig wearer.
What I Don’t Like
- Price – The unit was a bit pricey.
- Customizations – You could alter the unit but with an up charge.
Read full Myfirstwig Reviews
6. Luvme Hair Deep Wave Headband Wig
Luvme Hair is a company based in China that aims to provide top quality hair to its customers. As a result of this effort, they’ve been able to provide a pleasant shopping experience to their customers.
Their site provides a stress-free shopping experience and while known for wigs, offer a variety of other products too. Another reason to shop with Luvme is their fast help section that answers all questions and quick delivery times. This gives customers an added layer of confidence when shopping.
This specific unit is extremely easy to use. This headband wig allows you to receive a new style in just seconds. Since many women of color use wigs as a protective style, a quick fix is the perfect option at times.
Another selling point of this wig is the texture. The texture of the big is easy to style and looks like natural curly hair. If you want a wig that is not easily detectable, this unit is a great option. The biggest downside would be the lack of customizations.
What I Like
- Hair texture –The texture is easy to style.
- Price – This unit is extremely inexpensive.
- Headband – Due to the headband, you can avoid blending a fake hairline.
What I Don’t Like
- Size of headband – The headband could be too small for some users.
- Density – The density near the hairline wasn’t as thick as the rest of the unit.
- Customizations – You couldn’t alter the unit other than the length.
What to Look Out for When Buying a Wig as a Black Woman
Customizations are key to creating a unit that works best for you. Since black women are some of the main buyers of wigs, they are usually catered too. This ensures options that a woman of color would want is readily available.
The main area of concern when dealing with customizations is the lace. If lace is customizable it’s usually easier to blend in with people who have a darker skin tone.
A thinner type of lace is ideal for blending. It’s also important to search for a unit that comes with a darker shade of lace. Normal lace is often marketed as transparent but has a white cast on darker skin tones.
Wigs that have some degree of curly texture are ideal for women of color if they desire a natural looking unit. Since black women generally have curly hair, selecting a unit with curl can lead to an undetectable look.
Another perk to curly units is they are easy to style. All you need to do is add water to revert the curls if you don’t like a specific style. Keep in mind you may need to use a product to achieve a certain look and keep the unit frizz free.
Another area to be aware of when picking the ideal texture is the length of the hair. A 14-inch curl unit will look significantly shorter than a 14 inch straight unit. Be aware of shrinkage and take care of the unit just like your natural hair.
Since wigs are becoming quite common, it’s getting easier to find an affordable unit. Decide on what areas are non-negotiable and price units that provide all your needs. Doing this will help you to avoid overpaying.
Customizations are a great way to build your dream unit. With this in mind, you may be charged for every area you alter. It’s a good idea to find a base unit that is closest to your desired style and customize from there.
An ideal wig is likely to be around $200. Be sure to price e-commerce stores with your local beauty supply. You may be surprised at the pricing difference on units that are similar, feature wise.
What kind of wig looks most natural?
Wigs made from natural human hair typically look the most natural. They mimic the texture and look of hair that would naturally grow from the scalp. A wig can also look natural by making sure you take advantage of customizations. Customizations allow you to alter the hair in a way that will perfectly fit you.
Is it bad to wear a wig everyday?
No, as long as you take care of your hair underneath. Wigs are a very common and easy protective style. They allow you to nurture your natural hair and are often used to stimulate growing. Ensure you take the time to wash and take care of the unit if you decide to wear it everyday.
Do black women wear half wigs?
Half wigs are an available option for wig wearers. A half wig allows you to expose your natural hairline and some of your natural hair. Half wigs add thickness, volume, and are easy to use. Half wigs are a popular option for beginners.
While black women make up a big part of buyers in the hair industry, they still need to be on the lookout when buying a unit. Ensure to purchase a unit that is ideal for your lifestyle and blends well.
You don’t always have to spend a lot of money to find something of quality. Take into account how much effort you want to put in and also the reputation of the company. Doing this will lead you to the ideal wig.