Many of us want an easy way to spruce up our hairstyles, so how about trying hair sticks? Although they have been used by women for a long time many people still don’t know what hair sticks are. This article will tell you everything you need to know about hair sticks and how to use them.
What are sticks for hair?
Hair sticks are long sticks that are meant to keep your hair in place similar to a hairband or hair clip. They have been something that women have used for centuries to create different hairstyles. Hair sticks come in different shapes and sizes, even different materials. The most popular material for hair sticks is wood.
The standard length for a hair stick is 8 inches, but if your hair is really long or thick then longer ones can be purchased as well. Hair sticks can be straight or curvy – and curvy ones are usually best for hair because they are more secure. Also, hair sticks come in different weights. Heavy hair sticks are better for thicker hair and lighter hair sticks are best for thinner hair.
Types of Hair Sticks
Wooden Hair Sticks
Wooden hair sticks are all-natural sticks that are made of different types of wood. They are lighter than any other type of hair stick and cheaper.
These types of sticks are best for those who want to constantly wear this style. Wooden hair sticks are not so great in humidity, as they soak up water and get damaged.
Metal Hair Sticks
Metal hair sticks look the most elegant. These hair sticks are best for special occasion wear. They are also the heaviest and sturdiest hair sticks, which are great for keeping long and thick hair in place.
Metal hair sticks usually are decorated with little embellishments, which could also get caught in your hair if you are not careful. You also want to be careful of wrapping your hair too tightly around these metal sticks, so as to not damage the hair.
Plastic Hair Sticks
Plastic hair sticks are great for those who want to experiment with different colors. Wood and metal hair sticks are generally one color, but plastic hair sticks can be matched with any color outfit. Plastic hair sticks are also great for wet hairstyles or humid weather, as they won’t slip out or soak up any water. However, plastic hair sticks can be flimsy and break easily, which is why you need to do your research to find ones that are of good quality.
Benefits of Hair Sticks
- Helps Distribute the Weight of Hair – Normal hair ties bunch the hair into one place, causing really thick hair to become very heavy on your head. Using a hair stick will help distribute the weight on your head so it isn’t as heavy in one place.
- Helps prevent hair damage – Wooden hair sticks are especially useful for preventing hair damage on the hair. Hair ties can squeeze and pull on the hair too tightly, but wooden hair sticks are softer on the hair. Hair sticks also don’t leave creases on the hair when you take them out.
- Instant Fashion – Hair sticks instantly make your hairstyle stand out, especially since there are so many different kinds. Using hair sticks is also one of the easiest ways to add elegance and personality to your look.
Cons of Hair Sticks
- It takes practice at first – Knowing how to use a hair stick may require some practice in the beginning. It may be more tricky for some people than others. However, once you get the hang of it, it should not be difficult at all after that.
- Could cause hair damage – If you are using a rough wooden stick with splinters, that could pull out your hair as you are putting it in. You need to make sure your hair stick is smooth. Also, make sure not to pull your hair tightly as you are doing your buns, or that could also cause hair damage.
How to Use Hair Sticks
You can use hair sticks for a variety of different hairstyles, the main hairstyle being a bun. You could also do ponytails, space buns, and braided buns. You should also use hair sticks that are made of all-natural ingredients (like wood) so that you are not exposing yourself to any potential chemicals that could harm your scalp.
Some people use hair sticks after they do a hairstyle to simply add some flare, but most use hair sticks to actually hold the style together.
How to do a Traditional Bun
A traditional bun is the main hairstyle that is done with hair sticks. Just remember, practice makes perfect!
- First, gather all of your hair on the back of the head and then twist it.
- Then wrap the hair in a bun, tucking the ends in the bottom.
- Next, take your hair stick and stick it into the bottom of the bun and weave it through to the other side. It should feel secure once you are done
The Final Word
Although hair sticks are not a new invention, they definitely add a fresh look to any style. Once you get the hang of them, they are a great addition to your daily rotation!