Wigs are a great way to switch up your style – thanks to modern technology, you can make these units look quite realistic.
Some added work needs to be done in order to achieve a natural look but it’s not as difficult as it may seem.
One easy way to make a wig look realistic is by plucking it. In this article, we will discuss how to achieve this task and some other areas related to the topic. Let’s take a look.
How to Pluck a Lace Front Wig
Plucking a lace front wig is an important part of making a wig appear natural. Many sites offer this as a way of customization but generally, you will still need to pluck to get the perfect results for your face shape.
Plucking a wig is easy and elevates your hair look. There are only a few tools needed to complete the plucking process and you likely already own them.
Firstly, you want to ensure that the hair is secured, generally on a mannequin head to help with the shaping process. After the hair is secured, clip away the bulk of the hair. Use a comb to section out the hairline or areas you’d like to diffuse.
After you have the strands that you are going to pluck out separated, you can use tweezers to remove them. Try to go every other strand at first to ensure you don’t over pluck, you can always go back over an area.
- Clip – Clips are helpful to contain the majority of the hair strands and expose the hairline. Sectioning the hair off helps you to have a clean area to work with.
- Comb – Combs, especially a rat tail comb, help you to section off the area you’d like to pluck. This is a great way to ensure you don’t overpluck the hair.
- Tweezers – Tweezers are the main tool used to pluck a wig. They make the process easy and you’re able to get precise when plucking.
One of the most common mistakes people make when plucking a wig is overplucking. They don’t understand what hairline shape would best fit them and overpluck the wig to the point that it’s not flattering.
While you can completely change the shape of the hairline when plucking, it’s not always recommended. Generally plucking a lace front is done to diffuse the bulky hairline, and not completely alter the shape.
Altering the shape should only be done if you know what you’re doing. Remember it’s better to under-pluck as opposed to overplucking as you can’t get that hair back.
Pros and Cons of Plucking a Wig
While it may seem like plucking only has its advantages, there are some disadvantages you should be aware of:
- Natural – Plucking a lace front wig allows you to blend the hairline better and truly allows the lace to melt into the skin.
- Overplucking – It’s very easy to over-pluck a wig, especially if you don’t know what you’re doing. This can lead to the wig looking like it’s balding as well as create an unflattering hairline.
- Time Consuming – Plucking a wig is an added step that needs to be done prior to wearing the wig. Wigs that don’t come pre-plucked generally aren’t hair pieces you can pull out of the package and immediately start wearing.
- Ruining lace – If you’re not careful when plucking, you can possibly ruin the lace. This can be done by any pulling or tugging that excessively occurs when you go to pull out a hair strand.
Is it better to pluck a wig wet or dry?
At the end of the day, the choice is up to you. If you decide to pluck a wig wet, you will have a bit more control over the specific hair you decide to pluck. On the downside, you can’t see the true density. Plucking a wig dry will give you a live look at how the wig will end up as you’re plucking. This provides you with less room for error.
How do I make a wig look real in the front?
There are many things you can do to customize a wig look and have it appear more realistic. Bleaching the knots, applying makeup to the lace, and plucking a wig will help in this regard. While it does take a bit of time to customize a wig, after you’ve done it for the first time, you don’t have to worry about it again.
What Is the Purpose of plucking a wig?
Plucking a wig is done to help make the hairline look more realistic. This is the main goal of many when wearing a wig. Using tweezers to pluck a hairline allows you to diffuse a blunt look and even in some cases change the shape of the hairline. Plucking is sometimes offered as customization when purchasing a wig but can be done at home as well.
Plucking a wig is so easy that just about anyone can do it! While companies do offer this service as a form of customization when you purchase a wig, it’s a great idea to go back and pluck on your own. This provides you with the perfect look made specifically for you.
You only need a few tools to complete this process and while it can be a bit time-consuming at first, remember that you only need to do it once.