If you’ve had hair extensions. you probably know how expensive they can be. You would likely want to get the most wear out of them and removing them doesn’t even cross your mind.
While it can be difficult to think about removing such an expensive product you spent your money on, removing hair extensions is quite necessary. Keep in mind you do have the option to reinstall them right after.
Let’s take a look at how to properly remove hair extensions and why it’s actually beneficial to do so.
Removing Hair Extensions
Depending on the type of hair extensions you have installed, it is possible to remove them yourself. It’s important that you understand properly what you were doing prior to taking part in the removal.
Clip-ins, ponytails, and sew-in extensions are some of the easiest hair extensions you can remove at home. There is little room for error making them a great option for DIY removal.
- Section the hair – Sectioning the hair directly where the extensions were installed will allow you to have a clean area when removing the extension.
- Un-clip or clip base – If you’re using clip-in extensions, all you have to do is unclip the base and remove the hair. If the hair is sewn in, all you will need to do is clip the base with scissors and remove the string that is attaching the weft to your hair.
- Gently detangle – After you remove all of the hair extensions, it’s important that you comb or brush the hair to remove any tangles and any hair you lost while the extensions were installed.
Some of the more permanent hair extension options such as micro-links and tape-ins can be difficult to remove at home. Having a salon professional remove these types of extensions would be a better idea in most cases.
- Section the hair – Sectioning the hair is important, even for professionals. This allows the stylist to have a clean area for removal and find directly where the extensions are attached.
- Apply adhesive remover or use needed tools to break bond – If you’re removing tape-in extensions, it’s important that you use an adhesive remover to break down the glue. If you’re removing micro-links, you will need a tool to break the bond. Allowing a professional to do this is important as it will allow less room for error.
- Gently detangle – Detangling the hair is important to remove any hair that fell out while the extensions were installed and to ensure there are no additional tangles that could cause damage.
Benefits of Removing Hair Extensions
After a while, your hair will start to produce some new growth. As your hair starts to grow out, the extensions start to become loose. This is a great time to remove the extensions and reinstall them (if you would like to).
If you don’t remove hair extensions, as your hair begins to grow, it can start to look unflattering. The base of the extension, where it was previously closely attached, is more likely to show. This causes a very unnatural look. The weight is also not distributed accurately at this point and can cause tension in unwanted areas.
As the hair grows, it can also start to get more tangled and you risk causing additional unnecessary tension to your strands. It’s especially important to be cautious when brushing your hair when there is a lot of new growth.
Also read: Do Extensions Help Your Hair Grow
Common Mistakes That Occur with Removing Extensions
When extensions are removed at home without the help of a professional, this is usually when the most mistakes occur. If you do not know what you’re doing, you can cause a lot of harm to your natural hair strands.
The biggest mistake is tugging on the hair excessively. Depending on the type of extension you have installed, you generally want to use some sort of bonding agent to break down the glue or other installation substance.
Hair extensions should slip right out of the hair if removed properly. There should be little to no tugging occurring and you should never lose any of your natural hair strands.
Can I Remove My Extensions Myself?
Yes, you can remove hair extensions by yourself. While this is the case, depending on the type of extensions you have installed, this may prove to be quite difficult. Ensuring you take your time and use the correct tools will be the most beneficial when removing hair extensions. If at any point you find yourself pulling or tugging too much, it may be better to seek professional help.
Can Permanent Hair Extensions Be Removed?
All types of hair extensions can be removed even if they are permanent. This is possible because the bonding agents, usually some type of glue, can break down. Beads are another common installation method that results in permanent extensions. For these, it’s important you seek professional help to get them removed. All extensions need to be removed after a certain amount of time due to new hair growth.
Is It Difficult To Remove Hair Extensions?
Depending on the type of hair extensions you have installed, it may be difficult to remove them. This is why it’s essential that you seek proper help if you find out that you can’t remove them on your own. Hairstylists are properly trained so that they don’t do any permanent damage to your hair.
It’s important that you take the necessary steps to remove hair extensions properly. This is especially important when you produce new growth.
Determine the type of extensions you have and if it would be more beneficial to remove them at home for a low cost or to go to a professional to ensure you get the proper help.
At the end of the day, your hair will be thankful that you took the necessary steps to protect it.