Hair bundles. You may have heard of this term, but what exactly does it mean?
Between picking the right hair type and having a proper installation, knowing more about bundles of hair will be of your benefit. Specifically knowing the products you plan on using helps the entire process go smoother.
Let’s take a look at the specifics of hair bundles.
What are bundles of hair?
Hair bundles are exactly what they sound like – a collection of hair gathered together to create individual chunks of hair that can be sold.
A specific amount of hair is collected and sewn together to make a strip of hair also called a weft. Bundles typically weigh around 4oz which doesn’t seem like much but it adds up after multiple are combined.
Hair bundles are surprisingly customizable. You have the option to alter the type of hair that is used, length, and sometimes even the density.
Bundles of hair are relatively cheap and a great choice for most styles. Expect to purchase at least 3 bundles when completing an install. It’s generally cheaper to purchase bundles in a set instead of individually.
Where do hair bundles come from?
Depending on the type of hair you get you can expect a variety of different origins. If the hair is virgin human hair that means it came directly from a donor who never processed their hair in any way.
There is also the possibility that the hair is remy. This means the hair was collected in a very specific way and the cuticles are all intact. This results in some of the healthiest hair available and it’s sure to last you a long time.
The hair type you purchase can also affect where the hair comes from. There are types such as Peruvian, Indian, and Malaysian. While not all of these hair types come from their country of origin, many of them do.
How to Install Bundles of Hair
The installation method can vary greatly depending on how long you want the look to last. The installation may also vary if you are getting it professionally installed or doing it yourself.
Sewing in bundles of hair is one of the most common installation methods. Typically this is done by a professional but can be done on your own.
- Your hair needs to be braided or secured flat in some alternative way.
- Start at the nape of the neck and start sewing the hair into your natural hair.
- Once you get to the hairline switchback and continue sewing until you’ve completed the bundles.
- Continue all the way up to the top of the head and either secure with a closure or style your leave out.
Bonding, also known as gluing, is a fast and easy way to install bundles of hair. It’s best to have this method professionally done as you can’t see the back of your head and it’s easier to mess up compared with sewing.
If you choose to install it with glue you have a few options. You can utilize a quick weave which allows you to attach the bundles to a base via glue or you can glue directly to your head. The second option requires you to know exactly what you’re doing to avoid any damage.
Typical bonding install
- Part the hair horizontally.
- Cut the weft to the length of the parting.
- Glue and attach the bundles of hair.
- Repeat until you reach the top of the head and secure with either a closure or style leave out.
Common Mistakes Made with Bundles
- Installation of bundles – Bundles can be installed in a variety of different ways. The most common way bundles are installed are through sewing or gluing the hair in. If the hair is not installed properly, the bundles can cause problems with your natural hair as well as not look natural.
- Picking the correct hair type – There are a variety of different hair types available and they all have a different look. Some people pick the wrong hair type and it causes the hair to look unnatural and not blend well. By doing research on hair types, you will easily pick the best type of bundles.
- Purchasing the right amount of bundles – Those who are new to the extension world may not be familiar with how many bundles to purchase. Typically 3 to 4 bundles are ideal but it depends on how thick you want the hair. Purchase enough prior to installation so you don’t get left with half a head done.
Also read: How Many Bundles of Hair Do I Need?
Advantages vs. Disadvantages of Bundles
Every style has some pros and cons. Let’s take a look at some of the areas to consider when thinking of using hair bundles.
- Protection – Bundles are used in protective styles and help protect your natural hair.
- Able to DIY – Most methods of installation are easy to complete on your own.
- Variety – Bundles are available in a wide range of textures, colors, and lengths.
- Time – While the hair lasts a few weeks, installation can easily take a couple of hours.
- Damage – If not installed properly hair bundles can cause a lot of damage.
- Braiding of hair – Your natural hair may be braided too tight and hurt.
What hair bundle is the best?
Typically when shopping for hair bundles, purchasing virgin hair is the best option. This is ideal as it’s the healthiest and most customizable option. Virgin hair will also last a lot longer than other types of hair leaving you with a great investment. Virgin hair is available in a variety of different hair types and is quite affordable in recent years.
Is 3 bundles of hair enough for a full head of hair?
Generally, yes, 3 bundles of hair are enough to complete a full look. This being said, you may want to alter it to your liking. Having the option to customize the number of bundles you ideally would like to install will lead to a look that will fit you best. No more than 4 bundles should be used solely due to the weight. Depending on the hair type, you may get away with 2 bundles or may need 4.
How many times can you use a bundle?
Since bundles can be washed, they can be used multiple times. You can even expect to use bundles for multiple installs. Spending money on premium extensions will allow you to get a longer wear out of your bundles. Ensure you take the time to maintain your hair as this will increase the longevity and allow you to use the hair multiple times.
Bundles of hair or hair bundles are great inventions. They help you achieve your dream style without making long term commitments.
Your bundles can come from a variety of different places and it’s important to research to ensure you are getting the best quality.
While there are some mistakes that you may need to be aware of when dealing with bundles, you are sure to end up with the best results.
3 thoughts on “What are bundles of hair?”
Very useful blog and this is the best one I read about afro hair.
Thank you for loving our posts!
Thank you for loving our content!