Hair extensions is an easy way to switch up your style and get a more customized look. While this is desired, you may be wondering what to be on the lookout for to ensure your hair stays as healthy as possible.
It’s well known that if you don’t properly take care of your hair, extensions can be damaging. This being said, what type of hair extensions are least damaging? Let’s take a look.
What hair extensions are least damaging?
There are a variety of different extensions made available to anyone who’s interested. It’s important to find the right type of extensions for you as all may not be ideal.
The extension known to be least damaging in general is a clip-in extension. Regardless of the look you’re going for, a clip-in extension is not only easy to install but also easy to create a damage free look.
Clip ins are an easy option whether you decide to install them yourself or have a professional do it. Since they’re so easy to install, this is one of the main reasons why they create little to no damage.
Since you can easily take them out every night, this is also a reason why it’s less damaging.
Other Common Types of Hair Extensions Available
- Tape in – The weft of hair has a sticky side attached to the base. A small piece of your natural hair is sandwiched between the two sticky tape extensions.
- Microlinks – A small piece of your hair is sectioned out. A piece of extension is attached to that piece of hair with the help of a small link. These types of extensions are slim and are easy to blend.
- Weaves – Weaves don’t connect directly with your natural hair. Your hair is secured underneath and the extensions are attached on top with the help of thread and needle or glue.
- Ponytail – Ponytail extensions have gained a lot of popularity in recent years. They attach your natural hair at the base of the ponytail and give additional thickness and length.
The installation process for clip ins are extremely easy making them a great option if you don’t have a local stylist.
You first need to determine where to put all of the extensions. Mapping this out beforehand is a great way to get the best results. To make the process easier, section the hair to get a clean area that can take on the clip-ins.
After you’ve mapped out and sectioned the hair, you’re ready to start applying. Open the clip of the extension and attach to the base of your hair strand. Close the clip to secure and repeat until your entire head is complete.
Pros and Cons of Clip-ins
No matter how great a product is, there is always at least one area that most would like to change. Let’s take a look at some of the different areas clip-in extensions exceed and where they could be improved.
- Add volume and length – Clip-ins are an easy way to switch up your style and get added volume without the use of heat. They also instantly add length.
- Affordable – Clip-ins are considerably cheaper than wigs and even other weave options at times.
- Removable – Clip-ins can easily be removed when you’re done. This is an added benefit since you don’t have to sleep in them and cause unnecessary tension.
- Temporary – Other installation methods of extensions such as microlinks and tape in extensions are more permanent. They last a few weeks and stay in full time until you remove them. Clip-ins can easily be installed and taken out overday.
- Not customizable – Clip-ins are a thicker strip meaning they aren’t as seamless as other options. Due to this reason, you can’t completely customize the units.
- Not as natural – Since clip-ins are a bit thicker compared to other options such as microlink installations, they take more work to cover up and aren’t as natural looking as a result.
Do hair extensions cause hair loss?
Hair extensions should not cause hair loss. Extensions are made to add to a style not cause any damage. In order to ensure extensions are damage free, pay attention to how they are installed. Installation and how you care for the extensions are some of the main ways something can go wrong and cause hair loss in the long run.
What type of extensions for celebrities wear?
Celebrities generally wear high quality extensions to get the most natural look. This includes human hair that is often remy. It’s easy to pair this type of hair with installation methods such as clip in and tape in. These two methods are go to’s as they provide easy installation and removal of the hair making it easy to switch styles frequently.
Are hair extensions good for thinning hair?
Getting extensions for thinning hair can be good or bad. At first glance, hair extensions paired with thinning hair seems like the perfect match. While the extensions do help thicken up the hair, you want to be careful. Thin hair should be paired with extensions that are lightweight and don’t cause any damage to the already fragile hair. Once you find extensions that will work with thin hair, you’re good to go.
Do hair extensions help grow your hair?
Hair extensions can help with hair growth in some cases. Hair extensions can take off some of the tension you may get on the ends of your hair from constant manipulation. Extensions will only make a difference in hair growth if they are properly installed and maintained. This is a key factor in receiving the best results.
Hair extensions are a great tool if used in the right way. You don’t want to cause any unnecessary damage to your hair so why invest in options that may not be good for your hair?
While there is a wide variety of different hair extensions available, clip-ins give you the freedom to remove them at any given time. This is one of the reasons they are less prone to damage. With enough research you’re sure to find the best option for you.