Finding the right closure is ideal for finishing off your look. What are the qualifications for finding the ideal closure? Let’s take a look at what 4×4 lace closure is and what makes it so desirable.
What is a 4×4 lace closure?
A 4×4 lace closure is exactly as it says – a closure that is made from lace with a 4 inches wide by 4 inches deep size. It generally closes off a wig or weave and allows you to have a natural looking part.
This “square” shape is ideal for creating a part, but since the sizing is only 4 inches, you can’t go very far back. Closures typically have a rounded shape towards the back which allow you to situate it perfectly on the crown of the head.
Closures come in bigger sizes such as a 5×5 and are ideal for creating a deeper part.
The benefit of smaller size closures are you have more control over the part when styling the hair.
Keep in mind with a 4×4 closure, only the front 4 inches having lace create a hairline. This means the side of the head doesn’t have lace and needs extra styling.
Pros and Cons of a 4×4 Lace Closure
Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of a closure as well as some of the downsides that come along with the hair piece.
- Protection – Your natural hair is tucked away and safe from the elements. The closure allows you to have a full style without damaging your natural hair.
- Customizable – Oftentimes you can customize the material and color of a closure to make it a better fit for you.
- Price – 4×4 lace closures are reasonably priced, you can easily find a unit for under $100.
- Upkeep – Depending on the type of adhesive you use, you may need to retouch the closure daily.
- Hairline – You can’t cover the entire hairline since only the front 4 inches of the hair contain lace. This means you can’t wear updos as your tracks will be exposed.
What is the difference between a 4×4 closure and a 5×5 closure?
The biggest difference between these two areas is the amount of lace made available. The bigger size means more lace is used and allows you to style the hair more freely. While the bigger sizes are ideal for covering more area, they aren’t as easy to control. The smaller area allows you to deal with a smaller section and style accordingly.
How long does a 4×4 closure last?
A 4×4 closure wig can last about 1 year overall and in installments of 2 to 4 weeks if installed properly. Just like any other product, it’s ideal that you take care of the unit while it’s installed to ensure the hair and closure lasts.
The type of bonding you use can also have an effect on the length of time the hair can be installed. Strong hold gel used as glue will only last a day or two while strong adhesive can last you weeks at a time.
4×4 closures are ideal for a variety of different reasons. You can easily find this type of hair piece at your local beauty supply or online. While you don’t have maximum styling options due to the sizing, you can control the style you are interested in.
Like any other hair piece, there are pros and cons. Despite this, you can get a good amount of wear out of 4×4 lace closures making the investment worth it.