As a stylist, installing a closure wig is quite easy, but you don’t need much training to successfully complete it.
In this article we will discuss not only what a 5×5 closure wig is but also the details that come along with it – such as how you can install a 5×5 closure while getting it to last.
Let’s take a look.
What is a 5×5 closure wig?
To understand what a 5×5 closure wig is you first need to understand what a closure is. A closure is a piece of material, generally made from a type of lace, that is used to mimic a natural part.
A 5×5 closure refers to the size. The closure will be 5 inches wide by 5 inches deep. This gives you 5 inches, bothways to work with when styling. This type of closure is then attached to a wig to complete a full look.
5×5 closures are quite popular so they are easy to find and not too expensive.
How to Install a 5×5 Closure Wig
Before you even install the hair, the first thing you need to do is to ensure that your natural hair is taken care of. This means the hair should be cleaned and moisturized. Once this is taken care of, you can then secure the hair.
The most common way to secure hair is by braiding it into cornrows. After this step, you may now apply a wig cap to further protect your hair and give a scalp-like effect.
Once the wig cap is secured, depending on the color, you may want to apply makeup to help with blending. After this is done you can apply the wig. See how it fits and position accordingly. You can then cut the lace to and secure the wig using your preferred method.
Pros and Cons of a 5×5 Closure Wig
What makes a 5×5 closure worth it versus something you may want to pass on. Let’s take a look.
- Part – The part can go as deep as 5 inches This will ensure you can have a natural look even with different parting options.
- Maintenance – Once you’ve installed the unit, little work is needed to upkeep. Depending on the type of installation method used, the unit can last a few days to weeks.
- Hairline – Only the first 5 inches of hair would be able to be exposed. The rest of the hairline exposes tracts.
- Placement – The placement of the wig generally leaves you with a middle part. Unless you’re skilled with styling, it may be hard to change the part.
Products needed to complete a closure wig installation
- Wig with a closure – This product can be found online or in stores, you can also expect to pay close to $200 for this product.
- Wig cap – Wig caps often come with wigs. If you didn’t receive one you can find one at your local beauty supply. They should be a few dollars and no more than $5 total.
- Glue/ Gel – This can easily be found at a beauty supply. Depending on the hold, you can get a few days to a few weeks wear. The price can range from $5 – $20.
How long can you get a 5×5 closure wig to last?
As long as you’re shopping from a reputable place, you should be able to get a good amount of wear from the wig. These types of wigs last close to a year. If for any reason the wig starts to fall apart earlier than that, you may be manipulating it too much.
Coloring and lightening are two areas that can make a wig’s quality go down faster, if you’re not properly doing these services, you could damage the hair strands. Another area is the lace itself. If you’re not careful with the glue you may tear the lace causing damage to the closure.
Considering the standard price of a 5×5 closure wig, even getting 6 months of wear out of a unit is generally worth it.
Are closure wigs or frontal wigs better?
There are 3 main areas that you may want to consider to help you decide which unit would be better for you. Let’s take a look.
- Price – Since more lace is to be used with a frontal, you can expect the price to be more. A frontal on its own is generally around $100. A closure can be found closer to $80.
- Styling – It’s often easier to style a frontal due to the fact that more of the hairline can be exposed. You can part your hair anywhere you want without restrictions. Closures, specifically 5×5, only offer you 5 inches to utilize styling.
- Naturalness – Frontals are generally more natural looking. You can pull the hair all the way out of your face and still achieve a natural look. With a closure, only the front 5 inches, or whatever size closure you have, can be exposed.
Read more: Lace Closure vs. Lace Frontal Wig
What does a 5×5 closure wig look like?
A 5×5 closure wig looks quite similar to other wig types. It’s essentially just a wig with a parting at the front center of the unit. This parting will generally be composed of lace and, due to the fact that it’s dimensions are 5×5, the closure will be 5 inches across and 5 inches back.
Are 5×5 closure wigs good?
5×5 closures are a good choice for just about anyone. They are easy to use, install, and style. They offer the option to part your hair and expose part of your hairline. 5×5 closures are also beginner friendly, meaning that you can easily achieve the style even if you don’t have much prior experience with wigs.
How do you style a 5×5 closure wig?
A 5×5 closure is most often styled in a middle part. This is due to the fact that the closure is situated in the center of the wig. If your hair is parted down the middle, generally the hair falls in front of your hairline and covers any imperfections. You can also style the hair with baby hairs to further blend the closure with the scalp.
5×5 closures are a great option for the majority of people. You can not only find the product quite easily but they can be quite affordable as well.
Another benefit of closures are the fact that they can easily be installed. While they aren’t as flexible as frontals, closure wigs are a great product to invest in.